Recipe by vincenthill2001
This is "THE BEST" homemade macaroni & cheese you'll ever taste ! ! ! :-)
Top Review by chickendog
There are too many things wrong with this recipe, such as the liquids, sugar, and seasoning. A white sauce makes a better base than using eggs. Use half & half or whole milk, and extra sharp cheese. I use 2 to 4 different cheeses in my mac & cheese recipes. I sometime use canned soups as a base, such as Cream of Mushroom, Chicken or Celery. I have over 325 mac & cheese recipes in my collection. This subject is so close to my heart, as it reminds me of my mom so much.
- 2 (16 ounce) bagsof the large elbow macaroni
- 6 (8 ounce) bagsshredded sharp cheddar cheese (Do not substitute the sharp!)
- 3 (8 ounce) bagssliced sharp cheddar cheese (Should be about 6 to 8 slices in each package.)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cansof campbell's condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (Cayenne)
- 3 tablespoons butter (Melted)
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Take one large pot and fill it with water (1/4 from the top). Add 1 teaspoon salt and 4 tablespoons cooking oil to the water, and bring to a boil. Then add the whole bag of the elbow macaroni but only cook in the boiling water for no more than 10 minutes! (The consistency should only be half way cooked.) Drain the noodles and let the sit, but do NOT rinse!
- Sauce Mixture:.
- Mix in large bowl, the can milk, whole milk, sugar, soup, butter, water, both the red & black pepper, and the eggs. (Beat the contents together well.).
- Put in a 11 x 9 x 2 inch deep casserole dish or aluminum pan, in layers (In this order):.
- 1. First the macaroni (One flat layer).
- 2. Then the SHREDDED sharp cheddar cheese.
- 3. More macaroni.
- 4. Then the sauce mixture.
- 5. Then the SLICED sharp cheddar cheese (Save one package for the top of the macaroni).
- 6. Then repeat steps 1 through 5, until all is in the casserole dish.
- The last step would be a layer of the SLICED sharp cheddar cheese on top. Panko topping (Optional): Melt ¼ cup butter in pan, add 1 cup panko bread crumbs, add 1 tbsp paprika, mix well, and put over the top of cheese and noodles in casserole dish. (You can also grind up Goldfish crackers as your topping.).
- Now place the dish in a 350° preheat oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes (Covered), and 10 minutes (Uncovered).
- Take out of the oven and let it set for 30 minutes (for best results), before serving.