Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I've had it for years and we always enjoy it. The onion, sharp cheddar and Worcestershire sauce gives this a nice bite. I often use 2% sharp cheddar cheese and skim milk and the taste doesn't suffer, so feel free to use the lighter options if you would like to. Also, the original recipe says to use grated onion, but I don't ever go to this much trouble opting instead to just use my food processor to chop them finely. I often add ham and/or vegetables to make a one dish supper.
- Cook macaroni per package directions and drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter. Add flour, salt, mustard, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add milk, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until thickened and smooth (depending on how fine your onions are chopped will determine the smoothness).
- Stir in cheese continuing to stir until melted and creamy.
- Combine cheese sauce and macaroni. Pour into a 2.5 quart prepared casserole.
- You can top with additonal cheese or bread crumbs, if desired. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until hot through.
This is true comfort food. We always enjoy a warm dish of Macaroni and Cheese, and this one was quite good. We thought the onion flavor overpowered the other flavors, so next time I will reduce the amount of chopped onions. I chose to top ours with extra cheese (rather than breadcrumbs), and that was a great choice. The sharp cheddar made this a true classic. Thanks for sharing your recipe, DeniseBC.
This was a good creamy mac and cheese. Although, for our taste maybe too creamy, I think it would be good with another 1/2-1 cup of noodles. I left out the onionss since the DS's don't like them but otherwise made as is. I topped with a little extra chesse rather than breadcrumbs. Made for Week 5 Football Pool win 2010.
We love mac and cheese in our house and I'm always trying new ways to make it. This is a very good recipe that is really creamy and cheesy. It was easy to make and looked very nice topped with extra cheese. Thanks for sharing. Made for Football Pool 2010.