1/2 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I've had it for years and we always enjoy it. The onion, sharp cheddar and Worcestershire sauce gives this a nice bite. I often use 2% sharp cheddar cheese and skim milk and the taste doesn't suffer, so feel free to use the lighter options if you would like to. Also, the original recipe says to use grated onion, but I don't ever go to this much trouble opting instead to just use my food processor to chop them finely. I often add ham and/or vegetables to make a one dish supper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook macaroni per package directions and drain. Set aside.
- 2Melt butter. Add flour, salt, mustard, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Do not brown.
- 3Add milk, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until thickened and smooth (depending on how fine your onions are chopped will determine the smoothness).
- 4Stir in cheese continuing to stir until melted and creamy.
- 5Combine cheese sauce and macaroni. Pour into a 2.5 quart prepared casserole.
- 6You can top with additonal cheese or bread crumbs, if desired. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until hot through.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.7
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 648.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 17.4 g