Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Re: The title. Just a little joke with so many recipes out there =). The grand kids like this so much better than the commercial version. It is an excellent freezer recipe. We always keep extra in zip lock bags as backup for the kids or as a side dish for a meal.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3⁄4 cup romano cheese or 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs macaroni (pasta of choice)
- Cook macaroni, rinse and drain.
- Melt butter in heavy bottomed 2 quart sauce pan.
- Add flour,S& P, whisk in and cook until bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in milk.
- Cook until it starts to thicken.
- Add cheeses and mustard and cook until thick.
- Pour sauce over macaroni,stir, heat and serve.
- Freeze any leftovers.
- When thawed, reheat adding extra liquid (water or milk) until it is the consistancy you like.
I liked that it was all made on top of the stove and I did not have to bake it. I am only giving it 3 stars because I thought it was just too bland. I followed instructions to a tee. Will add some velveeta cheese to add more flavor to present batch. I will make again, and add more flavorable cheese.
I just got done eating this Mac and cheese. It was wonderful I was not sure about the mustard because I do not like spicy stuff. The mustard gave it a nice flavor but it was just a hint of flavor. I will be making this again.
This is so creamy and cheesey! The cheese combination is terrific and I really loved the two mustards in there. The mustards give a great flavor but it's not overwhelmingly "mustardy." I used fiore (flower-shaped) pasta. A real hit with the kiddos. Thanx for sharing this. Will certainly make this again!