Recipe by Julesong
Mac and cheese done Martha Stewart's way. :)
Top Review by highcotton
I was a little surprised to see this posted with no mention of the source. It's Martha Stewart's 'signature' dish. Her recipes rarely work for me, with this one huge exception. It's 5-star all the way, and my family is absolutely addicted to it!! Of course, there are 2 schools of thought about the texture. If you prefer your m&c very creamy, you'd probably like Patti LaBelle's version better. Otherwise, this one is perfection!
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, plus more for dish (1 stick)
- 6 slice white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces ((good quality))
- 1301.24 ml milk
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1.23 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.23 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1064.65 ml grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 oz.)
- 473.18 ml grated gruyere (about 8 oz.)
- 0 to taste grated pecorino romano cheese (about 5 oz.)
- 453.59 g elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter.
- Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss; set the bread crumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk.
- Melt remaining 6 Tbsp. butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour.
- Cook, stirring, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly our in hot milk.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cup cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil.
- Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 min. less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of the pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.
- Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and bread crumbs over top.Bake until browned on top, 30-60 minutes.
- Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 min.; serve.