1/5 Photos of Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese done Martha Stewart's way. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish (1 stick)
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces ((good quality))
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 oz.)
- 2 cups grated gruyere (about 8 oz.)
- to taste grated pecorino romano cheese (about 5 oz.)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl.
- 3In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter.
- 4Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss; set the bread crumbs aside.
- 5In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk.
- 6Melt remaining 6 Tbsp. butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour.
- 7Cook, stirring, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly our in hot milk.
- 8Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- 9Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cup cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil.
- 10Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 min. less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of the pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.
- 11Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce. Pour mixture into prepared dish.
- 12Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and bread crumbs over top.Bake until browned on top, 30-60 minutes.
- 13Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 min.; serve.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1156.4
- Calories from Fat 588
- Total Fat 65.4 g
- Saturated Fat 39.9 g
- Cholesterol 200.6 mg
- Sodium 1666.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 52.2 g