Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This super creamy mac and cheese dish feeds a crowd. It's very tasty and it's very easy to make. Be sure to let the dish sit for 15 minutes after you add the sauce to the noodles. You can keep it warm in the oven (covered) during this time if you like. If you don't have gruyere cheese, use a total of 16 oz of sharp cheddar or half sharp cheddar and half extra sharp cheddar. Don't leave out the american cheese. Since first posting, I have also made this with Fontina instead of gruyere, and skipped the american cheese and it was also very good.
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (I use Colman's)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (I use Knorr)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 16 ounces macaroni noodles
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 ounces American cheese (I use Velveeta slices)
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt butter over low heat and add flour. Whisk it for about 1 minute. Add mustard, pepper, bouillon, onion powder & continue whisking for about 1 minute more.
- Add 2 cups milk, whisking constantly. Add the other four cups of milk and continue to heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. When milk is very warm, add grated cheeses and Velveeta slices. Stir well for about 1 minute, or until cheeses melt. Just before it starts to boil, remove from heat. Don't let the sauce boil or it will burn at the bottom.
- In a 6 qt pot, boil water for noodles. Add noodles and cook al dente.
- Drain noodles and put back into pot they were boiled inches
- Cover noodles with cheese sauce. It will seem like there is way too much sauce, but it will be absorbed by the noodles and it will be the right amount of sauce after about 15 minutes.
What a great mac-n-cheese recipe. I halved the recipe, since it was just my SO and I. I will make this again. For cheese, I used cheddar cheese and a slice of Havarti... that's all I had. Thanks! :)