Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Lower calorie comfort food.
- 2 1⁄2 cups dried radiatore, rotelle (8 ounces) or 2 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni (8 ounces)
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned croutons, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large screw-top jar, combine 1 cup of the milk, flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper; cover and shake until combined.
- Pour milk mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Stir in remaining 1 cup milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just until bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheddar cheese and American cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta, stirring until combined.
- Spoon into a 1-1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together seasoned croutons and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more, or until heated through.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.