Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know the ingredients sound strange but this the creamiest mac and cheese I have had. I do add more cheese but that is to your liking. I also have found the more variety of cheese the better it is. I usually use extra sharp cheddar, sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, and monteray jack.
- 2 cups small elbow macaroni, cooked aldente
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup water, reserved from macaroni
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- i can't believe it's butter-flavored cooking spray
- Combine all ingredients except water. Add water a little at a time if mixture is to thick.
- Put in an oven safe dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Spray I Can't Believe It's Butter over breadcrumbs.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Great- creamy, cheesy, and fast, which is exactly what I needed after a long day and with hungry kids waiting. Some preferred theirs directly from the pan to their plates-- it was good that way, too. Personally, I like a little crunch on top, so I used a combination of breadcrumbs and french fried onions on my little corner of the baking dish. ;) I divided this between two 8x8 pans, and the second one will go to my sister along with the ham dinner I'm taking her tomorrow. I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind when I need a quick and easy side!
This is a cheese lovers *alert* Our family loves cheese and this didn't disapoint! I used about 1/4 cup of the pasta water but think I could increase it to 1/2 cup next time. I used cheddar cheese and next time I want to try a blend of different cheeses. I thought the bread crumbs were alot but after the baking and tasting it was just right for us. I didn't have any butter flavored cooking spray so I used pam olive oil cooking spray and it turned out fine. I used a 3 cup casserole dish and it baked up in 20 minutes. Thanks for sharing this recipe made for My Three Chefs game.