Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
A family favorite that on busy days I cook completely in the microwave. On days that I have more time I may finish by baking in the oven.
- Melt butter in 1 quart glass measure on full power for 45 seconds.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper to make a paste.
- Slowly whisk milk into measure and cook on power level 8 for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir several times as it thickens.
- Mix in cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix the cheese sauce and macaroni together in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Top with bread crumbs and paprika.
- Cook on full power for 3 minutes or until bubbling.
- If you would like you could bake in the oven on 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
It's better when it goes in the oven, because the top layer becomes toasted and even more delicious. I just tried this recipe tonight, and next time I'm going to save a 1/4 C. of cheddar and dice it and throw it in the macaroni mix. The sauce is a little too milky, but I think it'd be fine if you put in some small chunks of cheddar, because it'd change up the taste. I also added minced onions tonight, and it made it even better. -Gali
This is exactly how I make my Mac and Cheese except that I had never used the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs before. This time I just sprinkled some Italian Seasoning on top of the crumbs which was nice. Sometimes I have used cracker crumbs as well. I do use 1% milk but if I was being honest I would have to say that it is even better with whole milk. I never have it in the house anymore so I make do with 1% and it is fine. I used extra old cheddar. Yumm. The perfect comfort food. Thanks for posting your recipe.
Nothing beats macaroni and cheese for pure comfort food. This is so easy to put together. The breadcrumbs were from my Seasoned Breadcrumb Mix and I did put this in the oven but think it would be equally good heated in the microwave.