Recipe by Shutterbugds
A family favorite that on busy days I cook completely in the microwave. On days that I have more time I may finish by baking in the oven.
Top Review by galihaverty
It's better when it goes in the oven, because the top layer becomes toasted and even more delicious. I just tried this recipe tonight, and next time I'm going to save a 1/4 C. of cheddar and dice it and throw it in the macaroni mix. The sauce is a little too milky, but I think it'd be fine if you put in some small chunks of cheddar, because it'd change up the taste. I also added minced onions tonight, and it made it even better. -Gali
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in 1 quart glass measure on full power for 45 seconds.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper to make a paste.
- Slowly whisk milk into measure and cook on power level 8 for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir several times as it thickens.
- Mix in cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix the cheese sauce and macaroni together in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Top with bread crumbs and paprika.
- Cook on full power for 3 minutes or until bubbling.
- If you would like you could bake in the oven on 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.