Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can make this as mild or as spicy as you want it. Chipotle peppers in adobo come in cans and are very, very hot. I like to transfer mine to a GladWare container and keep them in the fridge after I've opened the can. The sauce the peppers are packed in should go into the mac and cheese, too.
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese or 1 -2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions and drain. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Meanwhile, cook the diced onion over low heat in the olive oil until just transparent. Add the flour and stir to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Dijon mustard and the chipotles and a bit of the adobo sauce and then remove pan from heat.
- Stir in the milk and return the pan to the stove. Heat until just boiling and then remove pan once again to stir in the cheese.
- Combine the cooked, drained pasta and the sauce in a casserole and bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.