Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another mac and cheese recipe! This one is a bit lower in fat than the "blue box" stuff, yet quite tasty.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or rotini pasta)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 4-quart (or larger)casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
I remember in my year 9 home ecc class i made a dish almost exactly the same as this one. I think this was very nice! I made it today for my little brother and myself for lunch. I used hot english mustard and a bit more worcestshire sauce and i think it really picked it up a bit. also when i placed it in the oven dish, i sprinkled over a coat of bread crumbs and extra cheese to give it a bit of a crust. All in all, lovely! would recommend people try it for something a bit different,