Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this over two years ago from a Website caled "TipWorld." I have tried many mac and cheese recipes over the years, even some that were my Mother's recipes, but this has to be my absolute favorite! Make sure you use the sharpest white cheddar cheese you can find. This recipe can also be doubled-use a 9x13 inch pyrex or glass dish.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (I use Barilla brand,they have the little ridges that help hold the sauce.)
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese (this should be WHITE extra sharp or sharp cheddar cheese.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 7-inch x 11=inch baking dish.
- (Glass or Pyrex) Layer one-third of the macaroni in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle one-third of cheese over the macaroni.
- Make two more macaroni/cheese layers.
- Beat eggs well; add milk, salt, and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over layered macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly crisp.
The recipe is easy to follow. The top looked beautiful, however I was not ready for the way it looked once I cut into it. It looked like macaroni and whey or cheese curds, I held my breath and watched, my family ate it. No complaints..As Joan says the sharpest cheese is a must for this recipe.
Really yummy! Yes, I agree, you MUST use white sharp or extra sharp cheddar. It matters! The other spices made this very tasty. The inside is a bit custardy but still moist. Thanx for sharing!
Not much flavor, have to increases the spices. I didn't notice any spiciness. Macaroni was a bit bland without the cheese. Next time, i will increase the spices. But overall, this is a simple and easy to do recipe :) thanks!