Recipe by loof
A great side dish or main meal from the Junior League of Mobile Alabama...
Top Review by Kiwi Kathy
A twist on macaroni cheese, that in my opinion doesn't really work. I felt the sauce was too doughy and I should have followed my initial instinct and only used half the amount of flour specified. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap September 2011
- 4 ounces macaroni
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook the macaroni in boiling water 10 minutes. Drain and rinse. Steam the cauliflower just until tender/crisp.
- In a large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and paprika. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add cheese and cauliflower. Fold in macaroni.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt casserole dish. Melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and mix with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 ° until lightly browned.