Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cheesy macaroni is the comfort food and it tastes even better when it's made with cauliflower and bacon! Try it! :)
- 250 g dried elbows pasta
- 400 g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 slices middle bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- fresh chives or parsley, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente, adding the cauliflower in the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain and return to the saucepan.
- In small frying pan cook the bacon until crispy and add to the pasta-cauliflower mix.
- In a small saucepan heat oil add flour cook until start to bubble add mustard, cook for 1min. Don't let it brown.
- Add milk, salt and stir well. Bring to the boil and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup grated cheese and turn of the heat.
- Stir cheese sauce and macaroni mix together. Pour into large baking dish. Taste if it needs more seasoning. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 12 min or until golden brown.
- Just before serving sprinkle with fresh chive or parsley.