Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a good side dish or vegetarian main dish. Prep time approximate. Cook time allows for cooking macaroni and broccoli.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- Melt butter; stir in flour salt and pepper.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook until thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and mayonnaise.
- Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water according to package directions.
- Cook just until tender; do not overcook.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place a layer of macaroni, then a layer of chopped cooked broccoli in greased 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Pour some of the sauce over broccoli.
- Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
Its turned out pretty good, hubby said it was the best mac n cheese hes ever had. I tweaked it a bit though: boiled the broccoli with the noodles, added garlic salt instead of salt (half the amount), more pepper, parsley, cayanne, paprika, chopped onions, sriracha. I used cream and milk, 1 1/2 cup. Feta, parm and swiss, 1/2 cup. Mixed everything togeather, poured into baking pan and topped with herbs, onion and panko. It was great.
This was really good! So creamy! We loved the broccoli in it. Thanks for an easy and delicious side dish. Will definitely be having this often :)
I made this recipe on 3/15/11 for the " Sides "event in the Food Photo Forum,and most importantly mine and SO's dinner.Except for cutting the amount of mayonnaise down to 1/2 cup,and adding a lot of pepper the recipe was made as it was written.The baking time and temp. were " Spot On ".After tasting, we felt that " something " was missing,not sure what it was though.But,we both enjoyed the creaminess and tangy taste that the mayo gave this dish.Thank you for posting and, " Keep Smiling:)"