Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These Macanese Almond Cookies are popular with tourists from all over the world to bring back as gifts for friends. They are similar to Pecan Sandies or Italian Butter Cookies and they are made in beautiful wooden molds, that have been handed down from generation to generation, that shape the cookie into small jewel-like shapes. They are best eaten with tea or wine.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Use a sharp knife or a pair of scissors to cut the top portion of the paper cup off, leaving only a 1/2" deep cookie mould. Discard the paper scraps.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and ground almonds. Using your hands, mix in the shortening until the dough looks like sand.
- Add the water and almond extract and continue mixing with your hands until thoroughly mixed.
- Place about 5 chopped almond pieces into the paper cup mold. Over the mixing bowl, press a handful of the dough into mold and use your fingers to pack the dough into the mold and then level it off.
- Place the mold upside-down on an ungreased cookie sheet and slowly remove the mold. Repeat this process with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for 25 mins and then let them cool for 30 minutes before eating.