Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
for future lunch box treats * To chop macadamias, pulse briefly in a food processor - take care not to chop too finely.
- 2 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar, extra
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 440 g canned crushed pineapple in juice, well-drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- low-fat yogurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C (not fan-forced).
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place flour and sugar in a large bowl with half the macadamias, then set aside.
- Melt butter with honey in a small saucepan over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and add the buttermilk and pineapple.
- Stir to combine, then add egg. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk mixture. Fold in to just combine, then pour mixture into muffin pan.
- Combine remaining nuts with extra tablespoon of raw sugar and sprinkle over the muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with extra honey and yoghurt, or dust with icing sugar if desired.
Made these for a breakfast treat along with a pineapple smoothie I've made before, & THESE MUFFINS ARE JUST GREAT! Spread with some fat-free vanilla yogurt & a dab of honey, they couldn't be better! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my partners in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #22]