Recipe by evelyn/athens
This simple and flavor-packed pesto is made using the native Australian Macadamia nut. The delicious nut lends its rich crunch well to this Italian favorite. The pesto is great served with fresh pasta, with roast lamb or simply spread on a fresh piece of bread. Keep the pesto for up to a month in a sterilized, air-tight jar.
Top Review by **Jubes**
*Reviewed during ZWT5 for Family Picks Australain Recipes with the Zaar Chow Hounds Team* Great flavours- a tasty Aussie twist to an old favourite. I used fresh basil, macadamias and lemons from the markets today, Also used cold-pressed Aussie olive oil. The pesto is a very thick pesto which was great for spreading on some Ritz biscuits for a snack. We later added some extra olive oil and it was perfect for our lunch pasta too. I've posted photos as well.
- 1⁄2 cup of raw macadamia nuts
- 2 cups young basil (packed)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced (only fresh please)
- 1⁄4 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, using a pulse action, chop the macadamias, basil, garlic and parmigiano until very finely minced. Pulse in the lemon juice, olive oil and add salt to taste. The mixture should be pureed, but retain some texture.
- Toss your favourite cooked pasta with the pesto; top bruschetta with it; dip crostini into it -- .