Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
easy nice company dessert.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup cold shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold water, approx.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Make Carmel-- Place water and sugar in pot over med heat.
- do not stir.
- when a lite carmel colour and still bubbling, remove from heat, and add the cream.
- Place back on heat and still while it goes back to the syrup stage.
- Cook and stir until thickened slightly.
- Crust-- In processor or by hand blend in the butter and shortening with the flour and salt.
- To the coarse meal add the cold water gradually, adding only what is needed to make a dough ball come together.
- Do not over mix.
- Let stand for 1/2 hour before rolling.
- Roll out and line a flan pan.
- Place in preheated oven 350 degrees and bake the crust for 9 minutes.
- Remove crust.
- Sprinkle nuts over bottom.
- Sprinkle the coconut over nuts.
- Pour the caramel over nuts and coconut, do not mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 20- 25 minutes-- Until set-- Remove from oven and cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.