Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
from Susan Yenner of Winosboro, S.C. Preparation time includes soaking overnight.
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced into 1 inch thick pieces
- 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Mix eggs, sugar, nutmeg, juice, milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Place bread slices in a single layer in a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over bread, turning each slice to make sure each slice is well covered.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 400 degrees and melt margarine in a 15 by 10 inch baking pan.
- Place egg-saturated bread slices in pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn slices, sprinkle nuts on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar over top before serving.