Recipe by Babs in Toyland
Recipe from the "Pineapple Grill" in south Florida. These are very tasty crab cakes that can be served as a main course or smaller as an appetizer. Very delicious with the Black Bean Relish. Prep time includes letting the crab mixture and patties sit to meld flavors.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Delicious! The only reason I'm giving 4 instead of 5 stars is I love crab! To me the nuts and bread crumbs hide the crab. This is perfect if you have mediocre crab instead of the expensive lump kind, or for non crab fans like Gidgets Mom.
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mccormick's garlic and herb seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2⁄3 cup crushed macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick through the crabmeat to remove any bits of cartilage or shell.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat and the next seven ingredients.
- Mix well and let stand for 30 minutes for the flavor to blend.
- Place the flour in one bowl, the eggs in another and the bread crumbs mixed with the Macadamia nuts in a third bowl.
- Divide the crab mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- (the mixture is light and will separated but don't despair, keep pressing each patty firmly together).
- Dip each patty into the flour to coat.
- Next dip into the beaten eggs and then roll carefully in the crumb mixture to cover well.
- Place on a plate and allow to air dry for 30 minutes.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the patties without crowding in the pan until desired browness, turning once.
- This may have to be done in batches.
- Watch the heat, and reduce if necessary, as the nuts will tend to brown more quickly than the crumbs.
- It usually takes about 3 minutes on each side to reach a golden brown and cook through.
- Serve with"Black Bean Relish" (recipe posted separately).