Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Recipe from the "Pineapple Grill" in south Florida. These are very tasty crab cakes that can be served as a main course or smaller as an appetizer. Very delicious with the Black Bean Relish. Prep time includes letting the crab mixture and patties sit to meld flavors.
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1⁄4 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mccormick's garlic and herb seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2⁄3 cup crushed macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Pick through the crabmeat to remove any bits of cartilage or shell.
- Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat and the next seven ingredients.
- Mix well and let stand for 30 minutes for the flavor to blend.
- Place the flour in one bowl, the eggs in another and the bread crumbs mixed with the Macadamia nuts in a third bowl.
- Divide the crab mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- (the mixture is light and will separated but don't despair, keep pressing each patty firmly together).
- Dip each patty into the flour to coat.
- Next dip into the beaten eggs and then roll carefully in the crumb mixture to cover well.
- Place on a plate and allow to air dry for 30 minutes.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Cook the patties without crowding in the pan until desired browness, turning once.
- This may have to be done in batches.
- Watch the heat, and reduce if necessary, as the nuts will tend to brown more quickly than the crumbs.
- It usually takes about 3 minutes on each side to reach a golden brown and cook through.
- Serve with"Black Bean Relish" (recipe posted separately).