Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was published in food network magazine. my husband went crazy for it
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces finely chopped white chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whole macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- to make the crust: pulse teh flour, 1/2 cup coconut and salt in a food processor until the coconut is finely chopped.
- add the butter and shorteneing and mix until looks like coarse meal with pea size bits of butter.
- drizzle in 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until dough begins to come together.
- turn into a sheet of plastic wrap and pat into a disk.
- wrap tightly and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- preheat oven to 375.
- roll out dough into an 11 inch round on a lightly floured surface.
- ease into 9 inch pie plate.
- fold in overhanging dough and crimp with your fingers.
- pierce the bottom with a fork.
- chill til firm, about 15 minutes.
- line teh crust with foil then fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- bake until edges are golden 20-25 minutes.
- remove foil and weights and continue baking 10 to 15 more minutes.
- transer to wire rack and cool completely.
- to make the fillng: heat 1 1/2 cups milk and the macadamia nuts in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- (do not boil).
- whisk the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla with remaining 1/4 cup milk until combined.
- gradually whisk half of the hot milk mixture into egg mixture then pour back into saucepan and whisk with remaining mix mixture.
- cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to boil and gets thick, about 2-3 minutes.
- remove from heat and stir in white chocolate until smooth.
- transer to a mixing bowl and let cool completely.
- once filling is cool bring a few inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan.
- whisk the egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- set the bowl over the pan, do not let bowl touch water and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm.
- remove from heat and beat with hand mixer until whites are glossy and stiff.
- fold egg whites into filling.
- cover and chill 6 hours to overnight.
- just before serving, beat heavy cream and confectioner's sugar with mixer until stiff peaks form.
- transer to piping bag with star tip and pipe aroudn edges of pie.
- top with whole macadamia nuts and toasted coconut.