Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was published in food network magazine. my husband went crazy for it
Make and share this Macadamia Nut Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut up
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces finely chopped white chocolate
- 3⁄4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whole macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- to make the crust: pulse teh flour, 1/2 cup coconut and salt in a food processor until the coconut is finely chopped.
- add the butter and shorteneing and mix until looks like coarse meal with pea size bits of butter.
- drizzle in 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until dough begins to come together.
- turn into a sheet of plastic wrap and pat into a disk.
- wrap tightly and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- preheat oven to 375.
- roll out dough into an 11 inch round on a lightly floured surface.
- ease into 9 inch pie plate.
- fold in overhanging dough and crimp with your fingers.
- pierce the bottom with a fork.
- chill til firm, about 15 minutes.
- line teh crust with foil then fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- bake until edges are golden 20-25 minutes.
- remove foil and weights and continue baking 10 to 15 more minutes.
- transer to wire rack and cool completely.
- to make the fillng: heat 1 1/2 cups milk and the macadamia nuts in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- (do not boil).
- whisk the egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla with remaining 1/4 cup milk until combined.
- gradually whisk half of the hot milk mixture into egg mixture then pour back into saucepan and whisk with remaining mix mixture.
- cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to boil and gets thick, about 2-3 minutes.
- remove from heat and stir in white chocolate until smooth.
- transer to a mixing bowl and let cool completely.
- once filling is cool bring a few inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan.
- whisk the egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- set the bowl over the pan, do not let bowl touch water and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm.
- remove from heat and beat with hand mixer until whites are glossy and stiff.
- fold egg whites into filling.
- cover and chill 6 hours to overnight.
- just before serving, beat heavy cream and confectioner's sugar with mixer until stiff peaks form.
- transer to piping bag with star tip and pipe aroudn edges of pie.
- top with whole macadamia nuts and toasted coconut.