Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
The Macadamia nut crust keeps the chicken moist and adds a rich nutty flavor. You can also use the crust for fish. Serve with Mango Salsa or Chutney. Posted by request from Sam Choy's "Island Flavors". Prep time includes marinating and chilling.
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb (Japanese Panko)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- coconut flakes
- thinly sliced onion, floured and deep fried
- Marinade: Combine ingredients.
- Chicken: Marinate chicken for 1 hour, turning occasionally, then drain.
- Combine nuts and bread crumbs.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in beaten eggs then coat with nut mixture and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil and butter and sauté chicken over medium heat for 6-8 minutes turning once, adding more oil if necessary.
- Garnish and serve with Mango Chutney.
Oh my!!! This was SOOOO good!!! My DH agreed, five stars! I used fish instead of chicken and this was my first attempt at macadamia crusted fish and I am so glad that I found the perfect recipe! The macadamia nuts and the panko crumbs are the perfect combination. I served the fish with some coconut rice and Thai red curry sauce. The results made me feel like a gourmet coook! The only modification that I did to this recipe was that I only used 1/4 cup soy sauce and added 1/4 cup of water to the marinade because I didn't know if the soy sauce that I was using was considered light (it was the standard Kikoman kind).
great recipe for breaded chicken (very tender). Nothing exciting by itself but awesome topped w/ black bean mango salsa. I flattened my chicken breasts a bit and I didn't have rice wine so I used Riesling instead
Excellent chicken breast. Loved the macadamia nuts. I made half a recipe but DH ate the extra chicken with sauce. Served with Thai Red Curry Sauce and Jasmine Rice With Caramelized Green Onions. Great meal!