1/1 Photo of Macadamia Nut Blondies With Caramel-Maple Topping
This recipe comes out of Vegan with a Vengeance, and let me tell you, Isa Chandra Moscowitz does her desserts right!! Finally, someone who understands that some vegans get tired of being so healthy all the time. Sometimes you still want guilt-inducing delicious treats. Well this recipe fits the bill. Smells like caramel corn & toasted nuts, tastes like the most decadent coffee cake.... I'm in love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE BLONDIES
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces firm silken tofu (half a package of the vacuum-packed kind)
- 1/4 cup rice or 1/4 cup soymilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar (very strict vegans will want to mind your sugar)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups macadamias, partially chopped & partially ground (a few pulses in a food processor for chopped, remove some for this & below, then a few more for grou)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- 2To prepare the dough:.
- 3In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 4In a blender, whiz the tofu with rice milk until smooth.
- 5Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla, and blend again.
- 6Pour the tofu mixture into the flour mixture and use a firm wooden spoon to combine everything well.
- 7Fold in the macadamias. The batter will be thick and have a cookie dough consistency.
- 8Spread in the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping.
- 9To prepare the topping:.
- 10In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the margarine, turbinado sugar, and maple syrup, and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- 11Increase the heat to bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- 12Stir in the nuts. Remove from heat.
- 14Remove the blondies from the oven and pour the topping over them.
- 15Return to oven, and let bake for 10 more minutes.
- 16Let cool completely before serving. The topping should harden to a caramel-like consistency.
- 17The cookbook says to cut them into 16 squares or triangles. I got 20 out of the recipe. ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macadamia Nut Blondies With Caramel-Maple Topping
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.2
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 196.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 29.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: