Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home, April/May 2004.
Make and share this Macadamia Lemon Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and butter; stir in nuts.
- Press onto the bottom and 1/2 inches up the sides of a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon peel until light and fluffy.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
- Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar.
These are to die for. I love lemon bars and the nutty twist is so yummy! I found that I liked the nuts in larger chunks so there is no reason to chop them up fine...they sink to the bottom anyway and sort of fuse into the crust. The flavor is delightful. I agree...add more lemon zest. Thanks so much!!
I've made these several times and they are wonderful. Currently my favorite lemon bar. They are lemony not eggy. I never would have thought of the macadamia nuts but they go very well with the lemon and give it a nice texture. The crust is yummy too, shortbread like. The only thing I do different is add more lemon rind. I add it to the crust also. The mistakes I've made are: adding more lemon juice because I didn't want to waste it, which made it soupy & it didn't work by doubling it in a 13x9, darn. These bars are delicious, try them! Please use fresh lemon juice.