Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like macadamia nuts and ginger, this will tickle your tastebuds! A very intense cookie, which adults will enjoy. Adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly book, Best Food, which was given to me by MarieAlice - thanks!
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 55 g caster sugar (fine granulated)
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 90 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 120 g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 150 g macadamias, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 50 g finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9"x9" brownie pan with baking parchment, extending the paper just above the edges of the pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the flour and ground ginger; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan.
- For topping - combine butter, golden syrup and icing sugar in a small saucepan and stir over a medium heat until mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir in nuts and finely chopped crystallised ginger.
- Spread hot macadamia topping evenly over cooled base. Return to oven and bake for about 10 minutes - the nuts should be just turning brown, keep an eye on them.
- Cool in pan and then cut into fingers or squares.
- TIP: recipe says to make sure the base is cooled to room temperature before spreading the hot nut/ginger topping over.
You are right -this is indeed a treat for the adult palate. The ginger and macadamia combination over a ginger flavored shortbread base was amazing and lingered pleasantly long after the last crumb was consumed. I served small portions with coffee and it was well received. I must admit that I had quite an adventure locating golden syrup and crystallized ginger in my small Indiana city but I was finally successful and will make this again for special occasions. Thanks Nic.