Recipe by Maito
Alton Brown's recipe, with some minor tweaks. The coconut milk and macadamias impart a great flavor. Most types of fish would probably work, if you have a substitution in mind. This is good to make when you have a can of coconut milk open already for something else.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
As I was preparing to bake this, we were hit by a powercut, with the result that I decided to use the coconut milk to marinate the fish and complete the next day. This turned out to be a very happpy decision, the fish was wonderfully flavoursome and moist. I loved the crunchy topping and all in all, this is a total keeper!! We dont get mahimahi here so I used hake fillets. Made for Consideration Tag Game, thank you!!
- 1⁄3 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Smart Balance butter spread or 1⁄2 tablespoon other regular tub margarine
- cooking spray
- 1 lb mahi mahi
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon light coconut milk or 1 teaspoon coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix nuts, bread crumbs, flour, and tub margarine.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Lay fish on the foil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake fish for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, brush with coconut milk, and top with nut mixture. Pat mixture down so that it sticks to the fish. You can fold foil edges around fish to condense toppings.
- Bake fish for additional 12-16 minutes, or until fish is cooked through and crust is golden brown.