Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Nuts and browned butter create this sensational flavorful dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup macadamia nuts or 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- heavy whipping cream, whipped, sweetened, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Butter and flour 8-inch square cake pan; set aside.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until butter foams and turns a delicate golden color (5 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place flour, brown sugar, macadamia nuts and salt in food processor fitted with metal blade or 5-cup blender container.
- Cover; process until nuts are very finely chopped (30 to 60 seconds).
- Beat egg whites in large bowl at high speed until foamy.
- Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Very gently stir nut mixture into egg whites (DO NOT OVER STIR).
- Very gently stir browned butter and vanilla into egg mixture (DO NOT OVER STIR).
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cover with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Run knife along inside of pan.
- Cool 15 minutes (Center will sink slightly upon cooling).
- Invert onto cooling rack.
- Invert again onto serving plate so torte is right-side up.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm or cool with cherry pie filling and whipped cream, if desired.