Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Everyone loved this mac n' cheese and only 5 points/serving!
- cooking spray (Pam)
- 12 ounces pasta (I used whole wheat elbows)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs (I used packaged panko crumbs)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (I used Kraft 2% colby)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 2 - quart baking dish with Pam (I used a 10 x 13 pan).
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water (using the 1/8 teaspoon salt) according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and return broccoli and pasta to pot.
- In another large saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and add bread crumbs, stirring often or until golden (2 minutes). Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl stirring in 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium high heat whisk together the milk and flour until blended and then add in the onion. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened (2-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Whisk in the cheese (cheddar and remaining Parmesan) and the rest of the ingredients (mustard - pepper).
- Pour pasta and broccoli into prepared pan and cover with cheese sauce; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with prepared crumbs.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until it is bubbly.
Everyone loved this- including my kids! I was worried about the nonfat cheese but it actually nice in the recipe!
I really like this recipe! I did the full fat version as I am feeding babies. I also added cauliflower and omitted the mustard. It was very tasty and I like that it held together like a true baked mac n cheese- others I've tried are too runny or cheesy.
A nice tasteful recipe here. I did omit the mustard though, but other than that we were happily pleased. This is a good way for kids to eat broccoli.Mine was done in 25 minutes. Made for New Zaar tag.