1 hr 5 mins
Recipe comes from Rachael Ray's "Just In Time" Cookbook...she says...."Two basics come together and become one classic sammie. Why didn't I think of this sooner?" Extra Tidbit from Rachel... "You'll need about 1/2 a small onion to get 3 to 4 tablespoons grated, but start with a whole onion to spare your fingertips; save the rest for another use. To save time and cleanup, grate directly into the bowl."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta (Hollow corkscrew pasta) or 1 lb penne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, once around the pan (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated onions, and juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Eyeball It)
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, Cut Into Pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickle, For Garnish (optional)
- 2 plum tomatoes, Seeded And Diced (optional)
- 1Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt liberally, add the pasta, and cook al dente.
- 2While the pasta works, heat a nonstick skillet with the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon into bite-size pieces. Add the grated onion and juice, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper to the skillet and combine.
- 3While the meat browns, heat a saucepot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the butter and, when it melts, whisk in the flour. Cook it for a minute, then whisk in the stock and milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a bubble, then cook for a few minutes to thicken it up. Stir in the mustard, then add the cheese a few handfuls at a time, stirring in a figure-eight motion as it melts into the sauce. Adjust the salt and pepper.
- 4Drain the pasta, then return it to the hot pasta pot along with the beef and cheese sauce. Stir to combine the mac 'n' cheese 'n' burger, adjust the seasoning, and serve in shallow bowls garnished with chopped pickles and tomatoes, if you like.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac 'n' Cheese 'n' Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.4
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 119.8 mg
- Sodium 468.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 38.0 g