1/1 Photo of Mac-N-Cheese for Grown-Ups
Bonnie G #2's Note:
This was sent to me in a William Sonoma magazine and it's a nice variation on an old classic that tends to be a more grown up taste (IMHO) It calls for cavatappi pasta (a fancier elbow looking pasta) but I couldn't find it so just used elbow. Has more steps than most mac-n-cheese I've made but I feel it's worth it and hope you do too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, 3/4 stick -plus more for greasing
- 88.74 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 946.36 ml milk
- 295.73 ml creme fraiche
- 7.39 ml fleur de sel, pluse more to taste
- 887.21 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 414.03 ml cheddar cheese, shreeded
- white pepper, to taste
- 453.59 g cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente and cooled in ice water and drained
- 177.44 ml breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Butter 3-4 quart square baking dish.
- 3In 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.
- 4Stir in flour, cook, stirring, 1 minuted. Add bay leaf.
- 5Slowly whisk in milk until smooth.
- 6Simmer, whisking occasionally, 14-16 minutes.
- 7Discard bay leaf.
- 8Whisk in creme fraiche and 1 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel; bring to simmer.
- 9Off heat, stir in 1 1/2 cups each mozzarella and cheedar.
- 10Season with Fleur de sel and white pepper.
- 11In large bowl, combine pasta and cheese sauce.
- 12Stir in 2 cups mozzarella.
- 13Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- 14Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and cheddar, then with bread crumbs.
- 15Bake 30 minutes.
- 16Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac-N-Cheese for Grown-Ups
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.8
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 158.3 mg
- Sodium 1070.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 32.0 g