Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
mmmm... nothing reminds me of home like homade mac' n' cheese.
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 lb Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups gorgonzola, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large nonstick skillet, fry the bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- In the same pan, add the onions, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until golden and carmelized. (15 - 20 minutes). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir 2 - 3 minutes to combine.
- Add the milk, salt and coriander, and bring to a simmer, stirring often, until thickened.
- Add the cheese, and stir until melted. Set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- In a 13 X 9 inch casserole dish, combine the bacon, onions, cheese sauce and macaroni. Top with crumbled gorgonzola and bake for 30 minutes.