Recipe by surus
I got this off the back of a box of elbow macaroni. I happened to have all the ingredients so gave it a try. It calls for slices of American cheese rather than Velveeta found in so many recipes. Just the right amount of seasonings to give it some flavor. I used garlic salt for the salt and 1/2t onion powder for the onion. I also added 1/4t Zatarains creole seasoning.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sliced American cheese, broken into 2 " pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add onion. Cook 2 minutes.
- add flour, cook stirring constantly for one minute. Stir in milk and seasonings, cook stirring frequently until mixture boils and thickens. Stir cheeses into sauce.
- cook elbows according to package directions, drain.
- in a 2 quart baking dish, stir together pasta and cheese sauce.
- bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.