Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This grown-up take on macaroni and cheese is topped with rich, pungent caramelized shallots and creamy, crumbled goat cheese. From this month's The Bon Appétit Magazine (December 2008).
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more
- butter, for baking dish
- 3 cups sliced large shallots (about 6)
- 8 ounces small elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 2 cups packed coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or slightly more if you prefer a thicker sauce)
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, until shallots are deep brown, stirring often, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally; drain well. Reserve pan. Bring half and half and hot sauce to simmer in same saucepan over medium heat. Toss cheddar cheese and flour in medium bowl to coat; add to half and half mixture. Whisk until sauce is smooth and just returns to simmer, about 2 minutes. Mix in pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread pasta mixture in prepared dish. Top with shallots, then goat cheese. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes.