I just happened onto Vegan Yum Yum searching for another recipe and this looked so good and had such wonderful reviews, I decided to post it here for safekeeping. This won't taste exactly like dairy mac and cheese, but it's good on it's own. If you're in a pinch and don't have tomato paste, use ketchup. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dry pasta (macaroni, shells or rotini)
- 1/3 cup margarine (Earth Balance recommended)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon white mellow miso
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (not sauce)
- 1 1/4 cups soymilk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 cup steamed broccoli (optional)
- 1Cook pasta according to directions(usually about 10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat a sauce pan and add the margarine. Once melted, add flour and whisk vigorously until a smooth paste forms(this is called a roux). Be careful not to add flour to a pan that is very hot, or your roux will be lumpy and you’ll need to start over. If you mix in the flour as soon as the margarine is melted and you should avoid any problems.
- 3To this paste, add tamari, lemon, miso, tahini, and tomato paste and whisk until well incorporated. The mixture should still be paste-like. Then slowly pour in the soymilk, whisking constantly, until it is completely incorporated. Add the yeast and mix well. Cook the mixture until it thickens, whisking often. This should take approximately 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4This is best baked. Add in cooked pasta to the finished cheezy sauce. Add steamed broccoli for a real treat(and/or any other vegs. you want). Top with fresh breadcrumbs and bake at 400*F. for 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac and Cheeze(Vegan Yum Yum)
Serving Size: 1 (864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.5
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 366.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: