Recipe by lisamhuynh
This recipes begins with a roux, which mixes with milk to make a bechamel sauce, and combines with green chilis and cayenne for a kick. The tomatoes in dish are refreshing.
- 1 (12 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart 2% low-fat milk
- 10 ounces 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 (2 ounce) can green chili peppers
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Cube tomatoes.
- Warm milk to 110 degrees F/45 degrees Celsius.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then whisk in warm milk a little at a time to make a bechamel white sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer.
- Mix in salt, pepper, and cayenne, and stir frequently until sauce thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar (reserve about an ounce for the top) and green chilis.
- Combine pasta with sauce and stir well. Pour half into baking dish.
- Layer cubed tomatoes on top of the pasta and sauce mixture.
- Layer remaining pasta and sauce mixture on top of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake 45 to 60 minutes, or until top is the desired crispiness. Let rest 20 minutes before serving.