Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A healthified mac and cheese recipe that also contains either extra-lean kielbasa or turkey smoked sausage. From The Most Decadent Diet Ever cookbook by Devin Alexander, author of The Biggest Loser Cookbook.
- 113.39 g extra-lean kielbasa or 113.39 g smoked turkey sausage
- 236.59 ml dried elbow macaroni
- 9.85 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml nonfat milk
- 0.59 ml salt
- 414.03 ml finely shredded 75% light cheddar cheese
- Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to a full boil.
- Cut the sausage into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Add the macaroni and the sausage to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is cooked al dente, about 5 to 6 minutes. (It should still have a bit of bite to it.) Drain.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour with just enough milk to form a paste in a small bowl. Slowly add the remaining milk, stirring as you do, making sure to remove any lumps. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour the milk mixture into the saucepan. Stir in the salt. Add the cheese and continue to stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the cheese is completely melted and the mixture starts to thicken. When the mixtue is almost smooth, stir in the cooked macaroni and sausage until it is well incorporated. Serve immediately.
This is real comfort food. The sausage was a spicy chicken which I did saute in water before adding to the macaroni and cheese sauce. Gluten free pasta and flour were used in the making of the recipe. The cheese was a sharp white cheddar. This made a wonderful meal served with Sliced, Baked Cabbage and sliced tomatoes. Made for Aussie Swap.