1/1 Photo of Mac and Cheese With Applewood Smoked Bacon
1 hr 15 mins
This is your basic mac and cheese recipe, with a couple simple additions that I think made it one of the best I've tried/made (and I've tried/made a lot).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb noodles, elbow, penne, farfalle
- 16 ounces , cheese. (I used jack and sharp cheddar)
- 1/2-1 lb of applewood smoked bacon, cooked but not too crispy & broken into bite size pieces
- 1 onion, pureed
- cayenne pepper, salt & pepper to taste
- frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 -4 cups milk
- 2 cups crushed potato chips and seasoned bread crumbs, to cover
- 1Cook bacon and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- 2Cook noodles, al dente, drain and set aside.
- 3For sauce: melt 3-4 tablesppons butter and whisk in equal amount of flour to form a paste.
- 4Add the half cup or so of pureed, or finely chopped, onion and stir for minute or so to cook the onion.
- 5Add the heavy cream and milk.
- 6Cook until smooth.
- 7Add the cheese, cubed or grated is fine, cook until melted and smooth.
- 8Season with salt, pepper, and CAYENNE to taste.
- 9Combine the sauce with drained noodles and stir in frozen peas.
- 10Pour into baking dish and top with crushed mixture of chips and panko crumbs.
- 11Cook for about 20 minutes at 400 and then top with a few pats of butter and continue cooking til bubbly and brown.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac and Cheese With Applewood Smoked Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.8
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 177.2 mg
- Sodium 1668.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 35.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: