Recipe by Member #610488
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. This is how I make Macaroni and Cheese a dish to remember.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Macaroni & Cheese
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced (crimini and shitake)
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw overnight the package of Simply Macaroni & Cheese in the refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven for 400 degrees F.
- In a frying pan or large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the bacon fat on medium-high. When fat has melted and is sizzling, add the mushrooms and saute them for 4-5 minutes.
- Open the package of Simply Macaroni & Cheese and add to the frying pan. Mix well and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the white truffle oil around the pan and stir well to combine all of the flavors.
- Pour the mixture into a deep glass or ceramic bread loaf pan. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp of bacon fat in the microwave and stir in the panko breadcrumbs. Stir well to incorporate the bacon fat. Top the mac and cheese with the panko breadcrumbs evenly.
- Bake in the upper portion of the oven for 16-20 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the cheese sauce is bubbly. Serve hot!