Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
They aired the episode today with this recipe. It sounded so good and I did not want to lose it-so I am posting it for all to find.
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk, warmed for 1 minute in the microwave
- 8 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat the broiler.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly until golden, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking and add the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer, whisking constantly, and whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until the cheese melts. Immediately add the hot, drained pasta and stir until well-coated. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Divide the mac and cheese among four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins and sprinkle 1 tablespoon bread crumbs over each. Broil until crumbs are golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes, taking care not to let the top burn. Serve immediately.