Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A friend from work gave me this recipe when I was taking care of my niece and nephew. It is a HUGE hit with kids of all ages and a great alternative to throwing hot dogs in with box mac and cheese! My friend said it was all the flavors of a baseball park in one dish!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, boiled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot dogs, chopped into 1 in. pieces
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown hot dogs in 1 tbsp olive oil, remove and drain.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and butter, saute onions; add flour and cook 1 minute
- Add beer, whisk in milk (kind of making a roux) bring to bubble.
- Stir in mustard and ketchup.
- Lower heat, add 2 c of cheese. Stir until it melts.
- Combine macaroni, hot dogs, and sauce. Coat evenly. Pour into large casserole dish and top with rest of cheese. Melt and brown under broiler for 2 minutes.
Very Good and EASY ! I also put some leftover crumbled potatoe chips on top. Thanks for a GREAT recipe. = )
This is actually a Rachael Ray recipe. My family loved this! Thank you for the post.