Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on deliciouswisdom.com and it sparked my interest.
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup cannellini beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ground black pepper
- nutmeg, 1 large pinch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously grease a cookie sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Bring ½ cup of water to a boil. Stir in olive oil, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and the couscous. Immediately cover, remove from heat, and let it sit for five minutes. Fluff with a fork when done.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous with remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Mash all of it together with your hands until most of the beans are smashed and everything is well combined. (And may I suggest not mixing in the breadcrumbs as well, so that they end up in only some of the bites-- like a little surprise?)
- Divide into four parts and form into flat patties.
- Place the patties onto the greased cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping about halfway through.
- Serve on a whole grain bun or whole grain toast with a slice of tomato, sprouts, baby spinach or whatever other fresh vegetables you’ve got.