CHEF GRPA's Note:
Oh My!! This was so good. We watched Ina make it on Barefoot Contessa and decided to try it. I used 1% milk and that was fine. This is what mac and cheese is suppose to taste like. It's a perfect comfort food. Loved it. It is great for both kids and adults. I actually make it in individual ramekins for a party. Adults are more apt to eat it this way -- especially when there are kids around.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces gruyere, grated (4 cups)
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 lb fresh tomato (4 small)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- 2Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
- 4Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.
- 5My Note: 7-2013 I made this tonight, instead of bread crumbs, I used panko. I was so surprise many people omitted the tomatoes, I did use tomatoes (one small. It turn out not that cheesy, my kids enjoy. Next time I would under cook the pasta, so that they don't get mushy when baked in the oven. Will definitely be making this recipe again.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mac and Cheese and Tomatoes Copycat is by Barefoot Contessa
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 989.9
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 32.6 g
- Cholesterol 166.1 mg
- Sodium 574.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 44.3 g