Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from "The Mac + Cheese Cookbook" by Erin Wade and Allison Arevalo. They are also the owners of Homeroom, an all mac 'n cheese restaurant in Oakland.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 3⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Mac sauce (Bechamel)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Cook the macaroni in salted water until a little shy of al dente; drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F; bake walnuts in a single layer until brown and toasty, 5 to 10 minutes (you can also toast them in a hot skillet, stirring constantly, 3 minutes). Cool the nuts and coarsely chop.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it starts bubbling around the edges, but not a full boil; remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- When it has just melted, whisk in the flour snd continue to whisk until a light brown, about 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, then return the pot to medium high heat and whisk 2 to 3 minutes.
- The sauce should be smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon at this point; add the salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the cheese until melted, about 3 minutes; slowly stir in the pasta, stirring until heated through.
- Ladle mac + blue into bowls and top with walnuts.
Rich and delicious.....I did skip the walnuts, though....although I know they would be a great addition...<br/>A tasty spin on an old classic.<br/>Made for PRMR.