Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spicy tofu is very popular in Japan. For a vegetarian version, try Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™ instead of pork and swap the chicken bouillon for vegetable. Great both ways! Posted for ZWT II '06
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb veggie crumbles
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules, granule
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Press tofu and cut into small cubes.
- Mince onion, garlic, and ginger root.
- Mix water, miso, sugar, sake, salt, and bouillon in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a wok and saute onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flake.
- Add ground pork in the wok and saute.
- Add miso mixture in the wok and bring to a boil.
- Add tofu and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water and pour into the wok.
- Stir carefully and pour sesame oil.
- Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!
I picked this recipe because I thought it would match a similar recipe we often order at a Chinese restaurant near where we live. Unfortunately it wasn't quite the same, but it was really good anyway. (The one we order has more sauce, no meat and uses a softer tofu.) I used veggie crumbles and vegetable broth since we are vegetarians. I served it over noodles, since it was what I had and it cooked faster than rice. I used red pepper flakes, and forgot to drizzle with sesame oil (too bad, it's really good stuff) and sprinkled with some leftover green onions. Leftovers were delicious too. Thanks!
This is so good! I omitted the pork and it was still good. What I loved about this recipe is that the recipes are easy to find (especially in an Asian household) and I didn't really have to go shopping or anything. And it was really really good. I recommend adding pepper, but without it is just as good. Thank you so much!