Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is like a cross between mapo tofu and instant ramen. A fusion of Japanese and Chinese cuisine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 2 tablespoons chili bean paste
- 1/2 tablespoon shaoxing wine or 1/2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sichuan pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces ground pork or 4 ounces ground beef
- 2 scallions, white green parts separated chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb tofu, drained cut into 1-inch cubes (medium or firm)
- 2 (4 ounce) packets instant ramen noodles (discard flavor packets)
- 1In a small bowl, mash the fermented black beans with the back of a spoon. Stir the mashed black beans with the chili bean paste, rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and Sichuan pepper. Set aside.
- 2Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water sizzles and evaporates on contact. Add the oil and swirl to coat the base. Add the meat and stir-fry for 2 minutes until no longer pink, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium, then add the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger. Stir-fry briefly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Add the black bean mixture and chicken broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the tofu cubes. Allow the broth to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 5While the broth is simmering, cook the ramen according to package instructions. Divide the ramen into individual bowls.
- 6Season the mapo tofu broth with salt and pepper. Ladle the broth over the ramen and garnish with scallion greens.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mabo Ramen
Serving Size: 1 (794 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1012.6
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 3044.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 46.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fermented black beans
chili bean paste
ground sichuan pepper