Recipe by Eduardo Maldonado
This recipe comes from an English-language Chinese cookbook of my mother's. I have made it...easy and delicious, and better than in the Chinese restaurants. As most Chinese dishes, it is best as part of a meal of a variety of dishes and a group of people. Accompany with Oriental boiled rice. Mabo Dofu (Bean Curd with Ground Beef and Chili Peppers)
Top Review by Foxyrae
This was just perfect! Served on a bed of rice. Didn't have any chili peppers and didn't know how much flakes to substitute, so I put in 4 tsp. of flakes which I thought was going to KILL us haha...but I ended up tripling the sauce to have it run onto the rice, so the heat was still really spicy but JUST right for us! Will definitely be making this again!!
- 2 packages bean curd (3/4 lb (tofu))
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef or 1⁄4 lb minced beef
- 3 tablespoons oil (or cooking spray)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 chili peppers, chopped (or use chili flakes)
- 1 tablespoon leek, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bean curd into bite-sized squares and set aside. Heat oil and fry garlic, chili peppers and chopped leek.
- Add meat. When meat changes color, lightly stir in bean curd, soy sauce and = sugar.
- Cover with lid and cook for 10 min.
- Add cornstarch mixture, allowing it to thicken for a few minutes.
- Turn out into serving dish, sprinkle with the sesame oil and serve hot. EmmaDeer