Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Maast-o-Khiar makes a delicious side-dish. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 16 ounces plain yogurt (Greek or Middle Eastern yogurt preferred)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, grated
- one small onion, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons mint
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Beat yogurt well until smooth.
- If yogurt is too thick, add a bit of water while beating.
- If fresh mint is used, it should be finely chopped.
- Add mint, grated onion and cucumber, salt and pepper to yogurt and mix well.
- Leave in the refrigerator for two hours, then serve.
This is a basic yogurt salad we had with Adas Polo - Persian Rice With Lentils. I used Balkan (thick) yogurt which I did add some water to, chopped sweet onion, fresh mint, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and some baby cucumber.
Refreshingly good and healthy. I made 1/4 of the amount using 1/2 cucumber. Added dill and basil. Thanks.