Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 300 g moong meat
- 400 g basmati rice
- 400 g beef or 400 g lamb
- 2 large onions
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- cooking oil
- black pepper
- Peel and thinly slice onions. Fry in oil until slightly golden.
- Cut meat into small pieces and fry in onions until colour changes.
- Add two glasses of hot water, salt, black pepper, and tomato paste, and cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes.
- Wash moong.
- Add 1-2 glasses of hot water, turmeric, and a bit of salt and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Drain water.
- Add to meat and mix well.
- Prepare rice as in Kateh or Polow.
- If cooking Kateh, when excess water is boiled off, add meat-moong, mix well, and continue cooking.
- If cooking Polow, when rice is rinsed, add meat-moong, mix well, and continue cooking.